Re: potential gain vs. power in TC systems

I usually use 4.0 or 4.5 to one with the larger coils. Even up to 6.5 seems to work well also.

Dr. Resonance

For the 1000 to 1200 turn secondary, what is the prefered aspect ratio. Do you still shoot for around 4.5:1 ratio. I can see if one populates this form with a thicker wire and hence reduce the number of turns, the Q would go up and maybe some I^2R loses go down. It seems this would come at the expense of the secondary inductance.

Gerry R

I don't know for sure but think it might be related to the high peak currents involved in the larger units. This could relate to "effective loading" capacitance and inductance values but I have not explored this factor in detail.

Dr. Resonance

Hi DC,

Curious as to why 1400 to 1600 turns isn't optimum with PIG power?? Why does the TC care what the power source is??

Gerry R.

Most systems respond favorably with a 1,400 to 1,600 turn closewound secondary inductor running with NST power supplies. Systems with pole xmfrs work favorably with a 1,000 to 1,200 turn sec. inductor. Tesla coils like a lot of "power" for good spark output. John Freau's equation works well to predict this behavior.