Re: Puny transformer, will it work?

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
Any input much appreciated.
I am advising a friend on his daughter's science project. He got a 3kv 20ma
NST for free and I wonder whether they are likely to be successful in making
a very small coil. I have never used such a small power supply.
Many thanks,
Robert Hanford

Yes it will. I made a small coil using a similar transformer, a couple of ceramic doorknob capacitors in the tank circuit and got 4" + streamers. The gap was a Victoreen voltage protector rated at a nominal 2500 volts breakdown and the whole thing is mounted in an 8" cube aluminum box. It worked better with a suitable static gap but the noise was more than I wanted. There are pictures of it somewhere on hotstreamer but I've forgotten the file name. Something like "Lil TC".
Ed