RE: Power Loss

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Ouch!  This sounds like dangerous advice.

With the original poster's 15/60 NST, your suggested .01uF cap would be
precisely mains-resonant.  If the gap were opened for maximum spark
length, that would surely result in higher than safe voltages for the
NST.  Spark performance would be impressive, though short-lived.  A half
inch wide gap is much too wide.

Spark performance is monotonically correlated to gap width; there is no
sweet spot.  The performance will increase as the gap is wider, until
either losses and NST Q allow no further mains resonant rise, or
something breaks down.  How do you tell when to stop closing the gap
based on performance?  It seems closing the gap would continue to reduce
the spark performance all the way down to zero.

Gary Lau
MA, USA