RE: Terry Filter

Hi Marco,

Mine get warm to hot. The resistors were originally oversized since folks said they were getting "too" hot.

My big coil pulls 87mA through the resistors but it uses 5K resistors too. That is 38 watts for a temperature of around 140C. If I had used 1K (pre "official" Terry filter days) that would be 7.6 watts for about 50C. 50C does not burn things up and everyone seems to like that.

The filter's current rating is 240mA. That will heat the resistors to 200C (they are rated at 350C and dimly glow dull red hot at 100W full power).

So one may be able to use smaller resistors, but care is needed to be sure that they are not too small and that the resulting heat will not be a concern.

Cheers,

        Terry