Power output loss

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx I could use some advice. Recently, I'getting a significant drop in output as I dial up the variac. I start getting sparks at the 80v setting, as usual. But then, as I increase the variac voltage, the coil doesn't increase spark output proportionately as it used to. Might even decrease at higher variac settings ~120-130v.

I'm running a 15/60 powered RQ type static gap coil with a 0.03uF Maxwell pulse capacitor. The RQ is set at 6 gaps X 0.03" each for a total gap spacing of 0.18" which seems conservative.

Went back & verified all connections are tight & no wires near each other or near anything. Couldn't find any signs of arcing or shorts. NST checks out OK - both legs.

The only thing I could find was some scorching on the safety gap - both the left & right terminals & grounded teminal. I've never observed the safety gap firing, but it's location makes it a little hard to see. Plus it's near the spark gap which I try to avoid looking at. (I've thought of putting colored glass/plastic over the safety gap to make firing more noticeable without looking directly at the lower deck).

Anyway, I set the safety gap to the first adjustment point where they wouldn't fire with just the NST connected.

Maybe corona causing premature firing? I'm kind of stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx

Dennis Hopkinton, MA