Re: Dwell time, etc

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry, all,

That's also my understanding. The mechanical dwell time on most rotary gaps is several times longer than the energy transfer time of the Tesla coil system they're driving. But if the coil is properly tuned and heavily loaded by a nice display of streamers, the energy in the primary will be used up quickly and the spark in the gap will quench by itself before the mechanical dwell time is up. My gut feeling is that the electrical circuit constants have more of an effect on the quenching than anything you can do mechanically.

My old DC spark gap system was quite good in this respect as it used a small capacitor with a high breakrate and high ~20kV charging voltage. The rotary gap would arc while the electrodes were still more than 1/2" apart and then quench before they had even presented. If the rotary gap speed was turned down far enough, the capacitor would recharge before the electrodes had time to move apart again, and i t would fire twice per presentation.

When I increased the tank capacitor size from 12nF to 37nF it no longer did that. The gap ran a lot hotter and brighter and I started to get trouble with trailing arcs. The rotary gap would suddenly take on the appearance and sound of a catherine wheel firework and the fuses in the power supply would pop. Adjustments to the tuning never made much difference. I put it down to a mismatch caused by trying to ram too much energy into an undersized secondary.

That rotary gap was pretty poor though, I now have a nice one with 1/4" tungsten electrodes and a proper balanced rotor made by Finn Hammer :-)

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds"

Hi John,
< br>I calculated the dwell time on my 8 inch 1800rpm SRSG with four 1/8"
flying electrodes and thought the dwell time was like 3 or 4 times
the energy transfer time. This seemed long enough for energy to flow
back into the primary and reignite the gap. However, it also seemed
like if a breakout occurs, the energy is quickly removed from the
secondary so dwell time would not be a problem. Is this correct
thinking or did I make an error somewhere??

Gerry R.