Re: Potential Transformer - What is it

At 11:25 PM 9/28/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: Kidd6488@xxxxxxx
Hi, kind of a dumb question, but I'm sure there's others wondering this too...

What exactly is a potential transformer? I thought I remembered it being like a mini-pig, but I'm not sure... if its 120v to 14.4kV it has to be some kind of step-down transformer for small loads off the standard 14.4kV power lines...?

Precisely that...
Also used to measure the voltage of a MV line. Most utility meters have movements designed for 115V..

In general the potential transformer will have more attention to good regulation (so that it actually gives an accurate reading on the meter).