Re: Pictures of my 2KW coil and the 8x32 concrete toroid

Cool Gerry!!

I note that the "other place" has been talking of toroids too!

http://forum.4hv.org/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=4662

Scan down the page...

Cheers,

        Terry

At 10:59 PM 9/27/2005, you wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I finished building the 8x32 toroid using the mcmaster ducting material (5 mil stuff) and grout to make a smooth surface. The following are my experiences:

1. Grout sands easier than bondo (that's why I switch) and the work time is very good. Before curing, grout is very chalky. Full curing takes many days

2. Sanding to get a smooth surface worked fairly well but my results were not as good as D&M's work. I attribute this partly to: grout sands maybe too easily. I was able to reapply grout to fill in but if the depression was too shallow, it was hard to get the new grout to stick to the old grout thru the sanding process.

3. Adhesion to the AL duct was not perfect and sometimes cracks formed and small pieces flaked off requiring reapplication. This problem was not major and added only a small portion to the time required.

4. There was some shrinkage with the first application of grout and generally required a second application and in some parts a third spot application.

5. After I was satisfied with the surface, I gave the toroid two coats of varnish. This gave it an excellent surface for taping and greatly reduced the vunerability of the grout to damage.

6. Taping went very well. I purchased 2 inch wide AL tape that I cut length wise into 1 inch strips.

7. After taping, the toroid seemed very dent resistance although I wont test this on purpose. The final weight was 15 lbs that seemed acceptable to me. I probably wont use this method for much larger toroids, but for this size and smaller, I think the weight is not a problem.

8. It took me two weeks to grout and a week to tape. The grout time seemed higher than I expected but grout is inexpensive.

9. Total cost $85:
    a. duct = $30
    b. Al center sheet = $20
    c. Grout = $15
    d. Al tape = $20

Now for the pictures:

<http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds>http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds

Go the the directory for the 15KV_120ma coil.

There are pictures of the toroid during each stage of construction and the other components of my coil. There are also pictures of the coil in operation both with a breakout point and ground target, and with no breakout point. The longest power arc was 86 inches and the wall power was 2100 watts. Exposures are 4 seconds at ISO of 400, 800, and 1600. The picture names make a story board sorta and are numbered in chronological order. Enjoy.

Gerry R.