Re: Golka's Wendover "secret" gap

At 11:09 PM 9/25/2005, you wrote:

Hi Jerry,

The gas smells like rotten eggs and is heavier than air.

All the SF6 I've seen and smelled has been odorless. Perhaps there are contaminants that are sulfur compounds (most of which smell fairly bad)?

If suffocating, "legend" is to hold the victim upside down so the gas can flow out. I don't think I believe that one :o)

Interesting idea. I would think that the gas is well mixed enough in your lungs that it would be exhaled normally. It's pretty inert.

"We" never arced it, but it produces horrible gasses on decomposition by arc or by fire. It's relative SF4 will kill you standing right out and burst your lungs into flames (on contact with the moisture in the lungs) as you drop to the floor... If it does not ignite, it will form hydrofluoric acid in you lungs that just kills you a few minutes slower (but your already dead at the point from the basic toxicity)... One of the most, if not THE most, deadly gasses known to man...

http://www.concordegas.com/pdf/sf6.pdf#search='sf6%20msds'

Hard to find an MSDS on SF4 since no one plays with it ;-)) It is a homeland security "watch" substance...

SF6 is a very useful high voltage gas insulator but it needs great caution:

http://www.solvaychemicals.us/pdf/Specialty_Fluorides/SF6.pdf#search='sf6%20msds'

http://www.concordegas.com/pdf/sf6.pdf#search='sf6%20msds'

Arcing the gas at very high temperature makes really screwed up compounds... There just are not any good elements there.... Pure SF6 is pretty safe unless it smothers one... But it smells bad :-p