Re: Noob question

Hi Jim,

After looking over the patent:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/TeslaPatents/us000593138.pdf

I can make a few suggestions...

Fortunately, this system has a wire between the transmitter coil and the receiver coil so it should work well!

I would make two identical cone coils. One to send and one to receive. They can be any sane distance apart as long as the wire is well insulated. It is fairly important that the two coils be matched. Note that the wire can have tens of thousands of volts on it and it could arc to near objects possibly creating a fire hazard.

You may save yourself some work by going to a higher frequency than 20kHz. That would use fewer turns of wire and all. Since there is a wire between the coils, our typical tuning programs will not apply well. You might as well just go by wire length as Tesla suggests.

The primary coils should also be identical. Just several turns of thick copper wire should do fine.

For the receiver, you can hook up say small light bulbs.

For the transmitter, any powerful signal source could drive it. I would almost suggest an audio amplifier driven from a signal generator. You could simply tune the frequency to resonate at the best point. But, an audio amplifier might not go much above 20kHz. There are ICs that would work at higher frequencies such as in my amplifier here:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Low-ZAmp/Low-ZAmp.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Low-ZAmp/

Once setup, you could just tune the signal generator for the best light output at the receiver. The biggest loss will be at the loose coupling of the primary coils. The system really is just a loosely-coupled air-core high voltage transmission line that works at high frequency.

I don't think you are going to get a "return of 1000 times the input energy." but it should be an interesting project.

Cheers,

	Terry