Re: Noob question

Hi Jim,

At 11:25 AM 9/25/2005, you wrote:
Hi group.
    I am quite new here. just been soaking it up for a
few days. I do
have a question about general coil construction. I am
wanting to build a
"small" Tesla Coil according to the patents.

Cool!! But which patents? All of Tesla'a patents were for fairly large machines and are sort of out of date by 100 years ;-) But there are plenty of ways of making coils today....

I am
shooting for 20kHz as
my resonant freq. (for a specific application which
many of you can
probably guess).

That is a very low frequency in general but probably possible. "I" can't guess what it is for?

 I figured the secondary has to be
about 2.35 mi. in
length.

That is the 1/4 wave length of 20kHz... For Tesla coils, the 1/4 wave length is really NOT important. But it will take about that much wire to wind a coil with that low of frequency.

I am not looking for spark length out of this
pup,

Wha!! =:O

rather a
proof-of-concept WRT radiant energy.

:o)

Are there
references available that
would assist a person with "modest" mathematical
ability in constructing
a suitable coil?

If you want to radiate power, a Tesla coil is probably a poor choice. There is a discussion going on about "Tesla Coil RF Transmitter"...

In short, conventional Tesla coils "contain" their fields very well and really don't allow the power "out" very far. Tesla's great world power system is "usually" believed to not be workable and has serious flaws.

There are programs and as much math as you want for designing Tesla coils, it is pretty easy for the most part.

I want to follow Tesla's patent as
much as possible
(conical secondary and all). How do I figure the
capacitance i need for
the beastie?

The primary capacitance is mostly determined by how you are powering the coil. The primary coil can easily be adjusted as needed. It would help if we knew exactly which patent you are following?

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks In Advance,

Jim