Re: inductance vs. volt-seconds

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

However, it is the volt-seconds of the transformer that determines it`s suitability as a gate transformer.
Is there a direct path from inductance to volt-seconds and if not, how do I calculate the volt-seconds of a transformer that I have made. Which core parameters define the volt seconds, and does the turns count, count .
Also, how does volt-seconds relate to operating frequency, duty cycle and amplitude of the transformed signal.

It's not "the volt-seconds of the transformer". It's the volt-seconds applied to the transformer. To avoid core saturation, the average value of the voltage applied to the input side of the transformer must have zero average. Maybe this can be useful: http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-950.pdf (Unless there is some other meaning of volt-second that I am not perceiving. In this sense, volt-second is the magnetic flux)

Otherwise, the only important conditions are that the resonance frequency
of the leakage inductance with the load capacitance must be much higher
than the switching frequency, and that the magnetizing inductance must
be high enough to impede core saturation with the longest pulse applied
to the transformer.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz