Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

At 12:08 PM 9/24/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Dan" <DUllfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim:

Any resonant system will exhibit standing waves at certain frequencies.

What standing wave occurs in a lumped LC circuit? There's reactive power circulating, but not really a standing wave, which sort of implies "propagation".

For that matter, is there a standing wave in a standard spark gap tesla coil? Nope.. a couple lumped LC circuits (albeit with some uneven current distribution, etc.), not many waves travelling in that primary. Yes, one CAN model the system as a complex transmission line, but it fails the Occam's razor test.

I have a feeling you are of the oppinion that the earth has no resonant mode or frequency. Is this so, and why?

Actually, the point was that just because you observe a bandlimited phenomena, it's not necessarily because there's a resonance. It might be, and it might not. The observation itself does not provide sufficient information to discriminate.

Sure, the earth has nice low Q resonant modes, but I don't think that implies a standing wave. I think the Q is so low that the system is overdamped.