Re: Meter recommendations Meterman 37XR

Now pick up a nice cheap, but good, meter from Harbor Freight Tools for those possibly damaging shop measurements of HV and HV related current ---
only $4.95 and they work good and it's a throwaway if you blow it. The 37XR meter is great but we don't use it when, for example, measuring VDGRF terminal to ground current, etc. Lose the ground for a millisec and lose your meter.

Dr. Resonance

I have been playing with my new Meterman 37XR multimeter. It is true RMS with 10,000 count accuracy (0.1% DC) and all the usual auto ranging multimeter functions.

http://support.metermantesttools.com/meterman-sales/download/asset/2062690_b_w.pdf

I really really like it! It is VERY well thought out and of very nice quality. It has a nice easy blue back light display that really works well. The capacitance range can easily and accurately measure any TC cap. The inductance range can also easily measure any secondary inductance and is very good at the primary inductance too (1uH resolution). The frequency counter is dead accurate and has a stunning range of 3Hz to 10MHz(!) with about 300mV sensitivity. I pumped it with some messy AC waveforms and the RMS function was perfectly accurate. It agrees extremely well with just about anything my HP 33120A synthesized function generator can throw at it.

The input jacks can take the new safety or plain old banana plugs easily and firmly. The inputs are fused and high voltage rated so it "might be sort of hard" to blow up :o) The battery life is about 150 hours (auto off) so no problem there. The auto power off is 30 minutes so it will not trip off all the time like some meters do. Of course, you can defeat to auto off function. It comes with some very nice heavy alligator clips that screw onto the test probes that actually look very useful!

The manual is only 11 pages of small print so not a big deal to read with reading glasses 8-) But all the functions are very straightforward so you can just loose it ;-)

So it does a wide variety of the usual multimeter functions plus has very nice frequency, capacitance, inductance, and back lighting that "we" like. High quality, well thought out, and smooth to use... If you are looking for a meter in the $130 price range, this one can do everything a coiler would want.

I can certainly recommend it as a replacement for the old 27XT without any problem! Hopefully, I will not blow the crap out of it right away like did my 27XT :o)

Cheers,

        Terry

BTW - I don't work for anybody or get any kick backs ;-)