Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: stork <stork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

(Terry the original post some how got scrambled up, so I retyped the part about electrostatic forces doing mechanical work so it's more readable)

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: stork <stork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Steve,

Again, if you don't believe in displacement current, you still have to explain how electrostatic forces can do mechanical work.

It's not difficult.

F = qE             Lorentz Foece Law.  Defines an E field really.

dW = F.l           dl is distance moved related tp work differential,dw.

dW = qE.dl         E.dl is a scalar product.  E has only a single
                   component in the radial direction to q whereas dl
                   has a component in the radial direction also, but
                   may have components in other directions
                   perpendicular to the radial direction.  E has no
                   effect on components perpendicular to r (dot
                   product reduces to zero)so this reduces to:

dW = qEdr

W = q INTG Edr     Integrating gives the total work done by E in the
                   radial direction (longitudinal direction in our
                   experiment) on q.
If you agree

that there can be no electrical power without voltage and current being present at once, then you must admit that there can be no mechanical work without E x H. So if you are able to move a non-conducting object using an electrostatic field, displacement current must exist. That is my argument and I'm still waiting to see a counter argument.

Of course, I don't agree. See above. You'll note there is no dispalcement current and work is performed by an E field on q. In electrostatics there is no need for E X H or magnetic fields to do work.

>No one can experimentally measure a magnetic field produced by a
>"dispalcement current" in a dielectric field.
Explain how the balloon pulls up to the ceiling and sticks to it after rubbing on the cat, then. If mechanical work was performed, there must be both E and H fields present, and the only thing that could have created the H is displacement current since there are no conductors present to carry conduction current.

Again, no need to invoke E and H fields and displacement currents.
Coulomb's Law easily suffices here.
F = (1/4piEo)q1q2/r^2
This is just a simple example of triboelectrification and attraction of oppositely charged bodies.
Stork

.