Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Hi Ed,

No, I was just checking out the small #40 and noticed the recommended wire size as based on RF losses. At 8 kHz, were looking at sD of 0.029". #40 bare wire size is only 0.0031". So right off the start it's real bad.

An 8 awg coil, just for giggles:

60" x 225" with 1660 turns of #8 and a 60" x 300" toroid = 8.07 kHz.
A lower loss coil of the same freq is just to big for most coilers and is why our coils are at least x10 the freq or more.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

">Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Tesla list wrote:
>
>Large resistance per inch of secondary, so lower Q than normal, less
>resonant rise, and broader band output.   But are these values
>UNREASONABLY low?
I guess that depends on what you want to do with the coil. If it's
just to produce sparks, probably not a problem. Other tid bits have
changed, but I'm a firm believer that any obstical can be overcome.
For some other purpose, who knows. I can tell you however, Javatc
thought this coil needed at least 8 awg wire on the secondary. That
is from skin depth formulae, so there is quite a bit of loss in a
coil down to 40 awg. Kind of intersting regardless.

Take care,
Bart"

    Have you calculated the dimensions of a coil to resonate at this
frequency with a secondary wound with #8 wire?

Ed