Re[2]: Varnishing my secondary.

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Nick,

Just some basic safety information about varnishing.

THE POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS OF PLASTICS RESINS

Plastics resins are very hazardous because they involve working with the monomers which are often highly toxic. In addition, toxic solvents, fillers, catalysts, etc. can be used.

Polyurethane two-component systems, including paints and expandable foams (AB foams), consist of a polyol component and an isocyanate component. The major hazard from these polyurethane resins is from inhalation of the isocyanates. Isocyanates are strong skin, eye and respiratory irritants and large exposures can cause chemical pneumonia. Chronic or repeated exposure at very low levels (parts per billion in air) can cause severe acute and chronic asthma. TDI (toluene diisocyanate) and MDI (4,4'-methylene diphenyl diisocyanate or 4,4'-diphenylmethane diisocyanate) are the most toxic since they are the most volatile. However, when sprayed, all isocyanates are extremely hazardous. Polyurethane two-component systems can also contain other toxic chemicals, including solvents and irritating amine catalysts. Polyurethane foam resins should not be sprayed due to their extreme toxicity, except in a spray booth. If absolutely essential, self-contained

breathing apparatus (SCBA) should be worn if a spray booth is not available, or the piece is too large. SCBA should only be worn by personnel trained in its use. Sanding, cutting and other heating of finished polyurethane foam causes

decomposition of the foam to yield toxic gases such as hydrogen cyanide.

Polyester resin systems (fiberglass resins) consist of a resin, which contains a polyester polymer dissolved in styrene, and a hardener, methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (MEK peroxide), dissolved in dimethyl phthalate. Styrene is a strong respiratory irritant and narcotic, and requires very good local exhaust ventilation. MEK peroxide is a strong skin irritant and can cause blindness from even a few drops splashed in the eye. It is also heat and shock sensitive if the solvent evaporates. The hardener should

never be mixed with acetone, since it will react with acetone to form the explosive acetone peroxide.

Epoxy systems include resins, glues and paints. The epoxy resin itself usually contains diglycidyl ethers which are skin, eye and respiratory irritants and suspect carcinogens. The epoxy hardeners can include amines, anhydrides and several other chemicals. These chemicals cause skin irritation and allergies.

Better safe than sorry!

Sebas.

--

Best regards,