From: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>Tesla list
To: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: "Chuck Hobson" <<mailto:g0mdk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>g0mdk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:57 PM

>Original poster: Ed Phillips <<mailto:evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>evp@xxxxxxxxxxx> > >"end of a tesla coil? answer: the ground plate! Tesla was transmitting >energy by pumping a charge into the ground itself. As a matter of >fact, if you read his later writings, he was trying to keep RF losses >to a minimum. He would usually say that his coils dissipated about >10% energy in RF, and 90% energy through the ground. > >Your assertion that if you put a 1230 foot antenna on the thing, it >will transmit, is half right. The coil, all by itself, without an >antenna, will transmit if it is properly grounded. > >Dan"

That's true  about a properly grounded Tesla Coil Dan, but the
Effective Radiated Power (ERP) would still be miniscule, probably
undetectable (electromagnetic waves) beyond about 500 to 1000m
distance I would think. It would be interesting to know if anyone has
tried detecting Tesla Coil signals with a good communications receiver.

Chuck