Single Phase Motor on a Three Phase VFD

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I purchased this srsg from David Rieben a while back:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/srsg.jpg

It's got a 1/2 hp 3,600 rpm synchronous motor, with
eight electrodes for 480 bps.

I just purchased this 1 hp 120v single phase in, 240
volt three phase out VFD from Bart:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/vfd.jpg

Since this is a single phase input, three phase output
vfd, I wasn't sure whether I could use it with a
single phase motor. I hooked it up to my srsg motor,
with the rotor removed, and it worked just fine. I
ramped it up to 66 Hz with no problem. The VFD didn't
care. I was afraid it might trip on phase imbalance,
but it worked fine. Just another option for folks who
already have a single phase motor, but who want to
play with variable speed. Of course, it's better to
get a three phase inverter rated motor, but for the
low duty cycle, it's probably fine. My new VFD goes up
to 200 Hz! I'd better get a Lexan shield now!

Adam