Re: High voltage probe, odd NST measurements

Hi Ed,

Yes, over compensation will cause high readings. One might calculate how much capacitance it takes across each resister to properly compensate. I'm guessing this is an order of magnitude larger than the strays and may be hard to accidently do.

Gerry R.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> The stray capacitance of the resisters have not been part of the
> discussion. The resisters in question are 1Gohm and using a string of
> 10 resisters you have 10 Gohms of resistance in parallel with 100
> Gohms of capacitive reactance all feeding a 1Mohm in parallel with
> the 10-30 pf of meter capacitance.  Actually, this stray capacitance
> will help the response.  If the impedance ratios of the capacitances
> matched the resister ratios, you would have a compensated probe.
>
> If you ignore the stray capacitance of the resisters (worst case
> senerio) and thevenize the circuit, you will see that the 1Mohm and
> meter input capacitance determine the frequency response - one pole
> roll off at 16000Hz for a 10 pf meter (or scope probe)
> capacitance.  I have indeed used such a probe with a scope and gotten
> this good of a response.
>
> Gerry R

I agree if the numbers are as you say, but I can imagine layouts where
the capacitance from HV might "over-compensate" the divider and give
falsely high readings.  If you had a 100 kV square wave generator you
could probably equalize the thing by adjusting capacitance across the
scope.

Ed