Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: d a <btoc3000@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dan,

"what is the business end of a tesla coil? answer: the ground plate! Tesla was transmitting energy by pumping a charge into the ground itself"

Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Dan"

Hi Terry:

I have to disagree with you on this. Tesla never said he was
transmitting out the topload, and this was not merely that he did not
know what he was talking about. Trick question: what is the business
end of a tesla coil? answer: the ground plate! Tesla was transmitting
energy by pumping a charge into the ground itself. As a matter of
fact, if you read his later writings, he was trying to keep RF losses
to a minimum. He would usually say that his coils dissipated about
10% energy in RF, and 90% energy through the ground.

Your assertion that if you put a 1230 foot antenna on the thing, it
will transmit, is half right. The coil, all by itself, without an
antenna, will transmit if it is properly grounded.

Dan