RE: Capacitor in series or parallel?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

> Original poster: "miles waldron" <mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Dear Sirs,
>
> If you put the spark gap across the HV transformer, and series the
> capacitors with the primary, can you also series more capacitors at
the
> other leg of the primary? Or do all the capacitors need to be in one
single
> lump?

If you have a series-connected loop of components - gap(G), primary(L),
and caps(C), and the HV is applied across the gap, it makes no
difference is the loop is G-C-C-C-L- or C-G-C-L-C- or any other
sequence.  The current through all components is identical, as is the
circuit behavior.

> Due to this thread I have tried the spark gap in parallel with the HV
> transformer, and in parallel with the capacitors, but I can't see any
> visible difference. Is it true that the NST is always wearing out when
it
> spark gaps? I fully understand that entropy will eventually kill
everything,
> but should I consider NTSs consumable items, or can they last for a
long
> time?

If one is careful to properly set the static gap width, an NST will
indeed last a long time.  Opening the gap wide will quickly kill an NST
regardless of the circuit configuration.

> P.S. I am really sorry that I zapped myself with the MOT Dr.
Resonance! I
> don't want to hurt anyone else, or myself, or the integrity of this
list in
> any way.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Miles

No Problem - Please just don't do it again ;-)
Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA