Re: Spark Gap Design

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Dirk.

OK, I'll try to answer step by step as my knowledge permits.

> What is the benefit of building a multi-gap
you spread the arc over many gaps, thus spreading the points where
heat is produced and heat can be lead away from the ionised channel.
This helps quenching and cooler operation

>  spark gap using copper
> pipe segments within a large diameter pipe (such as 5")?
This migh on the one hand have historical reasons. This design is
often referred to as Richard Quick style static gap, though iirc it was
introduced by someone else. Its a neat way of building a gap and makes it
easy to connect a fan for airflow. Usually you would add another piece of
pipe with endcap in the center of the cap to force the ariflow over the
copper pipes.

> This design
> seems difficult since you are drilling round stock and cant
> adjustment be difficult?
It can be sort of dificult to build, but it can be done with some paitience
and good tools. One should try to keep the pipes as parallel as possible
to avoid local heating, but this is not too critical.

>  What type of designs do you suggest as an
> alternative?
though there are pros and cons for each gap type, lot of designs work well
A nice one it a single blown gap, where you blow or suck air by means of a
strong fan ( e.g. vacuum cleaner or compressor ) trough two pipes whose
ends are facing each other. You can as well lay out the RQ-Gap horizontaly
and add some airflow. For low to medium power this design can be made to
work very well. Just make sure you use brass, copper or tungsten as
electrode
and spread the arc over several gaps and / or add airflow ( airflow is
always a good idea ;-)

Do however not use th traditionally wrong pointed electrode or carbon
electrode approach, this will lead to problems with quenching.

bet regards

Christoph