Re: Beginer building a small sstc.

Flybacks don't really have enough driving current to do a great job. Nice 12 kV 30 mA NST will give you a better output -- 20 inch spark with a 4 inch coil (better inductance equals high output and inductance goes up as square of the radius) with a 19 inch winding length of #30 AWG. I have free plans if you contact me off-list.

Dr. Resonance

I am 14 and have a few questions about a small Tesla coil I'm trying to build. First of all, the dimensions for the secondary coil will be 2.5 inches in diameter and 10 inches tall. I have a homemade plate stack capacitor that can handle 10 kv playing on the safe side. I measured it to have a capacity of 26 nf ut under my body weight I can get it up to 40 nf. For a coil this small I'll probably leave it uncompressed. As for the power supply, I would like to stay away from wall sockets and work off battery power. I'm thinking of using a squre wave generator sending out pulses at 1-100 khz at 10-15 volts and running it backwards through a 3 volt transformer, this should get me between 4 and 6 kv. My second best choice for power supply would be a flyback transformer, but I only have the newer types, encased with plastic and having cylindrical secondar coils. I made a torid for the coil out of three feet of dryer hose. it has a 9 inch diam eter and is 4.5 inches tall. Is this too big for my coil? Since I'm working at this low a power level, I plan on using 18 awg speaker wire for a primary coil and 28 awg for the secandary. Is 18 awg too thin? For the primary how many coils should I use and how far apart should I space them? If you have any comments or answers to even just one question, I would love to hear them.