Re: Listening to TC?

Original poster: Jerry Chamkis <jchamkis@xxxxxxx>

Oooohh-   this is Very interesting!  I seriously doubt the bat's confusion was
a coincidence and you would certainly expect a rich ultrasonic field due if
nothing else to the sharp rise-times of the sparks.  If you really want to
explore this, start watching ebay for B&K (Bruel & Kajer) microphone capsules
smaller than 1/2 inch.  They make 1/4" capsules that are measurement grade to
~40 KHz and 1/8" that go to 60 or 80- typically used for vibration analysis
in jet engines and the like.  The price and rarity increase with decreasing
diameter-  the 1" naked capsules go for a couple hundred bucks in their
lovely wooden box and a 1/4" recently went for ~$450.  I don't seek
consistently but I've never noticed an 1/8" on auction but of course that's
the one you really want.  They behave just like an ordinary capacitive
transducer, the polarizing voltage is typically 200 v.  You can find a
(very!) wide spectrum of B&K instruments quite cheap but the capsules hold
their value depressingly well.  It wouldn't be hard at all to build a
heterodyne listening-box.  I think such things (although presumably NOT with
B&K capsules :-) are still used for detecting insects.

Good luck!

Jerry
Austin, TX

--
Jerry Chamkis
jchamkis@xxxxxxx

Non-locality is spooky action at -zero- distance.
www.teslaphone.com/OTE/TIME.mp3