Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Only by feeding back from the primary can one ensure power-transistor switching near the primary zero-current levels. (And only by employing a resonant primary can one implement a feedback-oscillator with the primary as its resonant circuit--so that takes care of the resonant-primary question.) Q.E.D....right?

That's exactly right. I started off with secondary current feedback, but I discovered that the phase shift between primary and secondary currents, although it's nominally 0 or 180 degrees, depends on the streamer loading. I saw it wander through that full 180 degree range when I tried various loads. So this was something we all argued over, and primary current feedback won, since you are sensing the very thing you want to control.

There is one missing step in the "QED" proof though, which is: Why do we want a feedback oscillator using the primary as its resonant circuit in the first place? Put another way, why is zero-current switching a good thing?

The answer is that zero-current switching allows the IGBTs to work much more efficiently- the switching losses are reduced by about a factor of 5. It may also allow them to stand overloads better. It seems that most IGBTs can carry more current than they can switch, due to dynamic latchup.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/