Re: My VTTC: The Quest For Longer Sparks

Original poster: "Dr. John W. Gudenas" <comsciprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chris
VTTC coils are very sensitive to tuning which includes proper
impedance match with your tubes. This is only a guess,
but it certainly sounds like your VTTC system is not in tune. You
might try adjusting your tank capacitance in pico farads and
see what happens. I produce 24-26 inch discharge running in self
rectified mode and longer in a staccato mode. This is with
a dual 833A system. I used a vacuum variable capacitor to find the
best tune for the tank circuit. Considering that increasing
plate voltage doesn't translate into longer discharge for you, also
indicates something is mismatched. Quite frankly, it is much easier
to use triodes and get everything in tune, albeit I suspect you have
already heard this.
Not much advice, but it is the best I can offer.
Good Luck.
John

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science