RE: SMALL SPARKS: PLENTY OF POWER- NO TIME

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 24 Oct 2005, at 19:43, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
>
> Hi Jeremiah:
>
> I would also suspect that the primary tap may not be optimum.  With a
> 15 turn primary, one can vary 1-2 turns and not see a world of
> difference, but since you say you use only six turns, it may be very
> sensitive to fractional turns.  It looks like it wouldn't be too
> difficult to replace the insulated wire you have with solid bare wire,
> at least temporarily, or ideally 1/4" copper tubing, to permit quick
> and easy tapping at arbitrary points.
>
> It's curious that you've not reported racing sparks.  It's always been
> said that the use of a helical primary will result in too-high
> coupling and racing sparks.  Maybe no one's ever actually tried it?  I
> hope so, yours is very compact!

I've used helical primaries with complete success. I generally shoot
for them being about twice the diameter of the secondary and between
5 to 10% of the height, tending towards the lower of those. That
gives coupling in the 0.1 to 0.15 range.

Malcolm