Re: Propeller Gaps & Timing!

Original poster: "Freddie Hamilton" <crzydmd@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I, btw, am actively pursuing my own pig of ~the mentioned spec., and am NOT considering buying 23 NST's as an alternative (I was only kidding!).

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Propeller Gaps & Timing!
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:07:52 -0600

Freddie,

I'd still opt for the pig if pushing that kind of power.
As someone else mentioned, it would be a real pain
to find one that had shorted. Pole pigs have proven
time and again to be "darn-near" bullet proof in Tesla
application whereas without a "Terry filter" type of protection (which BTW isn't desinged for near that
much current - 240 mA max), it's not a matter of "if" but "when" an NST is going to short/burn out, espe-
cially if they are pushed by opening up the SG to get
longer and longer sparks. Let's see, one 15 kVA,
14,400 volt pole pig (which can EASILY deliver
20 kVA) vs. (23!) NSTs. The one pig would be a
whole lot cheaper than (23) 15/60 NSTs, at the ~$100 a piece (+S&H) that they seem to fetch these days on ebay ($2300! (+S&H) vs. the $300 that I
paid for the 15 kVA, 14,400 volt pig that I got last
year. The pig would also be lighter. 338 lbs is what
mine weighs vs. (23 x 35 lbs each = 805 lbs. for the
15/60 NSTs) Unless you have a source of 15/60
NSTs that are free or at least nearly free (which
Ken obviously has), then the pole pig is a MUCH better way to go if you're looking to build a big coil!
David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 11:35 AM Subject: Re: Propeller Gaps & Timing!

Original poster: "Freddie Hamilton" <crzydmd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
WOW! You can wire up a 15/1380 power supply! Who needs a 14.4kV 20kVA pig anyway?