Re: Top-load altering Q-factor of secondary cct

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 24 Oct 2005, at 10:36, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Gavin,
>
> I believe the formula you state here is meant to be interpreted as:
>
> Q = 1/R * sqrt(L/C)  where the sqrt is in the numerator.
>
> As the top load is increased, the Q will decrease (everything else the
> same).  However, as the topload is increased, the frequency will
> decrease and the copper losses due to skin effect and proximity effect
> will be reduced.  If R decreases faster than 1/sqrt C decreases, then
> the Q could be affected positively.  I just dont know who wins.

I should add a note to my previous post on this subject - not all
secondaries will experience a rise in Q as you go from no topload to
some topload. Some as Gerry notes drop and continue to drop with the
addition of any amount of topload.

Malcolm

A lot