Re: SMALL SPARKS: PLENTY OF POWER- NO TIME

Jeremiah,

You mention that you have no room for a flat spiral primary but that would seem to me where
the problem possibly lies. A helical primary makes
it difficult to obtain tight enough coupling without
getting those annoying (and destructive) racing sparks up and down the secondary coil when in
operation. 3.5 ft. isn't specatacular performance
for 120 volts at 20 amps but "I" wouldn't consider
it necessarily "dismal" either. I'm sure that you're probably hoping for 5 to 6 footers with your power
consumption, though. If you are not able to change
your primary coil to a flat spiral, then I would sug-
gest removing most of the upper unused portion of the primary that you have and raising the rest of the
used part of the primary coil higher relative to the secondary until racing sparks just start to form and then
lower the primary back again to just below where
the racing sparks stop. This should give you near optimum coupling.

Aso, your secondary coil is a little on the "skinny
side" of the optimal height/diameter "aspect ratio"
of the 4:1 to the 5:1 range. It's still reasonably "close enough" though but would also aggrevate the too loose coupling issue.

Also, are you utilizng any PFC caps with the input
to your NSTs? Proper power factor correction may
help reduce the current draw and get your coil to ope-
rating more efficiently where the wattage consumption
is closer to the actual volt/amps being drawn.

David Rieben