Re: Top-load altering Q-factor of secondary cct

Hi Gavin,

No, that is not a correct statement. Q may increase, but will usually decrease because toploads are typically large relative to the coil. Malcolm recently sent his data of Q measurements (very nice tables of well documented measurements).

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/CoilMeasurements.zip

There are times when the Q started to increase, but as the topload was raised higher above the coil, Q began to drop. In "most" cases, Q dropped without the initial increase. This is easier to see in the tables near the bottom of the data. The increase in Q appears to occur on toploads which are small relative to coil size.

By realizing the topload capacitance affects the current distribution near the loaded end and is reflected by variations in inductance, it's not hard to realize that Q may go either direction depending on relative size and shape of the topload. One observation is that this phenomenon appears to occur when a low capacity topload is near the coil end and more likely on tightly wound coils. For example, in the top section of the data there are 3 different coils measured. Coil 1 and 2 show increases in Q and coil 3 shows a decrease in Q. But note, coil 1 and 2 are closewound and coil 3 is spacewound. Also note the coil sizes compared to the topload sizes.

With that said, I recently measured Q on my 8.5" x 39.75" coil with and without topload. Q dropped with the topload installed (a 9" x 30" toroid). I didn't perform topload position measurements, but now, I wish I had.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Gav D <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I read in a book written by Richard Hull that increasing the top-load will increase Q-factor of a TC secondary. I assume there is a limit to this set by Q= 1/R sqrt(L/C). Has anyone either experienced this and/or know of any theory for why this happens?

Thanks,

Gavin