Server status

Original poster: Chip Atkinson <chip@xxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings all,

I thought I'd write an incremental status report.

Earlier in the week I got the machine configured enough to install in my
"data center" -- my parents' house.  They and I split a small business DSL
connection and theirs has been more reliable than my DSL connection as
well so I haven't moved it to my house yet.

Yesterday I installed the machine into the rack.  Naturally I didn't take
my camera to take any pictures. :-\  Anyway, the installation went very
smoothly.  The rack mounting kit was very slick and required no tools at
all.  It was just clip in.  Well designed and thought out.

I have the web server up and running though not configured properly yet.
THat's the next task, followed by bind/DNS.  You can go to
http://www.pupman.com and see that it's running Apache 2.0.49
(Linux/SuSE), as well as the error message.  To navigate around, you have
to open the link in another browser and put in "pupman.com".  Thus
http://www.pupman.com/pupman.com/ will show you the main page.

Next I'll try to get virtual hosting going (hopefully that's the right
term).  It will allow you to just have pupman.com in the url rather than
pupman.com/pupman.com.

Over all, my impression of the machine is very favorable.  It's a 2U rack
mount that tucks neatly under the drawer holding the huge unstable server.
I thought it would be loud as well, but it's no worse than the older
server.

Here's a link to the server
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/MiddleFrame.asp?page=config&ProductLineId=431&FamilyId=2048&BaseId=15482&oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=
on hp's web site.  Hopefully it'll work for you.

Now to see if I can get the virtual hosting working ...

More as it develops.

Chip