Re: Mike Marcum Ferrite Cores

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx

>When a core saturates, it simply does not produce any more magnetic
>field. Its reached its limit, so your inductor basically turns into
>a resistor (goes from energy storage device to energy dissipative
>device). This is why saturation is to be avoided.

Hi Steve.

I bet that's why generators of all types tend
to get real hot when there at the output limits.

>One method would be to perhaps wind a few test turns on the core and >drive it with an AC source. Some math would be required to get the >values in the ball-park, and then you could simply watch the current >through the inductor and see if it behaves as it should, or if it >suddenly rises out of control. For example, say you are applying a >square wave voltage across the inductor, the current should ramp up >linearly over time (usually very fast, so an oscilloscope is >needed). If the core saturates, this linear rise in current will >take a sharp turn upward. Note what current level this happens at, >as well as the number of turns on the core and the measured >inductance of the coil. Plug all that back into the formula i gave >before and this tells you exactly what flux density you achieved when >saturation set in.

Excellent idea! That would be perfect for what I'm doing. :-) I could make a small sample cross section and wind it with some turns then put a magnet on it, when the current of the coil goes up I'll know the core has saturated. Thanks Steve, that will save a lot of time! ;-)

---- Matt Cortner ----