RE: home grown plasma globe

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ed:

Sorry, I'm a little late on this.  Got behind on "list" e-mails.

I have found -20 to -22 " Hg to give the best effect.
Mixture target was 90% Neon, 5% Xenon, 5% Krypton.

See our Globes at www.TeslaBoys.com

Our gas control for filling is rudimentary.
After building two blue balls I thought I had the method down to a
science.
The 3rd and 4th turned out green, and the 5th blue again.

All were "loaded" in what I thought was an identical method.
Obviously, the color is very sensitive to the ratio of Xenon/Krypton.

This method gives a pink color all around the periphery of the ball(from
the Neon).
The streamers turned out blue or green(from the Krypton/Xenon mix?).

In both cases placing your hand on the ball gives a blue/white streamer
clearly caused by the Xenon.

Used an air conditioning compressor as a vacuum pump and a manifold with
a bunch of valves.
Pumped down to full vaccuum then admitted a fixed volume of gas at a
fixed pressure based on PV=nRT to reach the goals.

Purchased gas in 10 liter bottles(small propane torch size) from
www.specgasinc.com
Neon $30, Krypton $45, Xenon $60.  Of course, shipping to boot.  Make
sure to ask for a valve(CGA-600).  It adapts the std propane type
connection to 1/4" npt and has a built in needle valve.

Note:  I did the pressure testing with Argon and found the best result
that way and used that as my target for the other gases.

I have not tried a lot of gas combinations because I got lucky early in
my trials.  There may be other better combinations.

Mark