Re: dc/ac caps

Hi Andrew,

At 04:12 PM 10/13/2005, you wrote:
Hey,
Whats the deal on dc capacitors? arent the mmc's dc?

Tesla coil primary circuits are AC. Capacitors come in all types. Some are DC only. The caps we use in MMCs can be used for both AC and DC. The MMC caps have different voltage rating for AC (500Vrms) and DC (2000Vdc). But in "our" case, we use them with the DC ratings. They only last about 75 hours that way, but that is long enough in our case.

is so would all dc caps work on a tesla coil?

No, "DC only" caps do not do negative voltages at all. They are much like batteries and will explode if reverse charged.

I have a nice bank of big blue caps about a little bigger than a soda can. Can i use those for tesla coiling

No, but the new solid state DRSSTC use caps like that for the power supply.

with a nst or would i have to use a dc transformer with the dc caps,

There are no "DC transformers". Transformers need "varying" magnetic fields to work. Normal NSTs run at 60Hz.

Thanks any info is greatly appreciated, andrew

Cheers,

        Terry