Re: Potential gradient between two spheres?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Antonio,
I have got your two references (A. Russell from 1911) but they just
allow to calculate the capacitance between two spheres A and B at
potential Va and Vb. I want to know the potential at a point X between
the two spheres. How to do that?
Should I simply replace the two spheres with two point charges Qa and Qb
of value given by the Russell paper and then calculate by their
superimposition the resulting potential at X?
Best Regards
P.S. Sorry for my question but I'm still a beginner with electrostatics.

Two point charges would work if the distance between the spheres is much larger than their diameters. The exact solution can be found with an infinite series of point charges placed at certain points along the line that passes trough the centers of the spheres. This is the "image" method. The exact procedure was developed by Lord Kelvin, and appears in his works. See the references in Russel's paper. I have implemented a calculation in my program Inca, using rings, but it is not suitable for a closed-form formula.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz