Re.. Mike Marcum Ferrite Cores

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mike, looks like the min order is a bit out
of My budget! :-P Oh well. I've been seriously
thinking about just what you said, see about just
getting the powder raw and saving all that time.
If you know of any retail sample suppliers please
let Me know. Thanks!

---- Matt Cortner ----

Original poster: HomerLea@xxxxxxx If you need ferrite can you use the ferrite from the flyback transformers in the zillions of old computer monitors scrapped every day?

Must have been reading My mind! That's what I'm
doing right now. But I would need so many more
to finish even the scale mockup. It seems to be
good for this purpose but I keep wondering if
there's some better composition material that
would be the ultimate application type deal?

---- Matt Cortner ----

Original poster: "Nick Andrews" <nicothefabulous@xxxxxxxxxxx> Maybe you can try asking them for a sample quantity of the powder, to see if you want to buy a truckload later on...

Definitely worth a try, if you know of anyone
selling this please let Me know! Thanks.

---- Matt Cortner ----

Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Hi, I think the powder for ferrites is really nasty with all kinds of heavy metals and such. You definitely don't want to breath that at all!!! Cheers,Terry

It is! When I first started cutting and grinding
flyback cores I noticed this right away, you have
to place the vacuum hose right close to the machining
head because of all the fine dust coming off the
cutter. That's how I learned of wet wheel grinding,
it captures all the dust perfectly, and to retrieve
it all you need is a small magnet inside of a
test-tube. But having said that it is a lot of work.

Thanks for explaining that poly cap in the new DRSSTC
schematic! Would have never figured it out. I still
have some questions but I'll wait till you have it
all dialed in. Is there a name for this thing yet?

In case your wondering, I've been a lurker on this
list since 98' and just recently started posting a
few messages. I had been coiling in the dark since
high school, (34 now), and the best I ever did was
about 7" with 1200W! :-P  I'm just glad we don't have
to make our own caps anymore! I for one really
appreciate the work you do for this list, guy's
like you make the world a better place. :-)

---- Matt Cortner ----