Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Dan" <DUllfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

When you say "Tesla never succeeded" . . .
. . . the one plant that would have decided the issue one
way or the other, was Wardenclyffe, and it never got completed!  He
never got funding for anything else approaching that scale after
that.  So I don't think the issue is settled at all.  Why won't anyone
try to duplicate his experiments?  All anyone does is see how big of a
spark they can make...

Dan

Tesla's work in alternating current engineering began with development of the AC power system. Even before this goal was fully realized, he began research into the use of alternating electric currents for wireless telegraphy, telephony, and power transmission -- the wireless transmission of electrical energy. . . . Remember . . . Tesla's work was directed towards the development of a system that combined wireless telecommunications and electrical power transmission.

       "I had at that time already perceived enough to get the
   idea that energy could be transmitted without wires.  It was
   of no consequence to me at that time whether it was to be
   used for telegraphy, or telephony, or power transmission.
   I was on the problem of transmitting energy without wires;
   and as it is my custom always to analyze scientifically
   every problem that I undertake to solve, I devoted a great
   deal of thought to how to attack that problem, and the
   following crystallized out. . . ."

         ". . . If you have an antenna of a certain capacity charged
   to 100,000 volts, you will get a certain current; charged to
   200,000 volts, twice the current.  When I spoke of these
   enormous potentials, I was describing an industrial plant
   on a large scale because that was the most important
   application of these principles [the wireless transmission
   of electrical power], but I have also pointed out in my patents
   that the same principles can be applied to telegraphy and
   other purposes.  That is simply a question of how much
   power you want to transmit." -- Nikola Tesla, 1916

While Tesla viewed electrical power transmission as being of greater importance, large-scale implementation of the Tesla system would have taken place only after the feasibility of the basic concept had been established. As Dan points out, the premature decommissioning of the Wardenclyffe telecommunications plant left this as an unanswered question.

Plenty of guys have tried without any success [in transmitting power to a distance with low loss]. Some have reported their results here.

Ed

Yes, following Tesla's lead, a number of people have taken a stab at building working models of Tesla's ground and air system for the wireless transmission of electrical energy. They include Eric Dollard (before 1990), myself (1990), Richard Hull (1991), Richard Quick (1994, see http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2000/July/msg00761.html), D.C. Cox (?)and Konstantine Meyl (2003). Of course, it was Tesla who gave us the basic instructions about the transmitting and receiving apparatus and their operation.

The object is to detect the fundamental tone of a precisely tuned non-sparking Tesla coil by setting up a Tesla Coil transmitter in which the primary and secondary oscillations are synchronized, and also a precisely tuned helical resonator receiving transformer, set to exactly the same frequency. For a detector most people will start out by using a small lamp of some sort; an NE2, NE51, a fluorescent tube, an LED or a small low-voltage incandescent light are all good indicators of the received energy. This is the same thing that Tesla was doing at C/S. A small permanent-magnet dc motor with a diode bridge rectifier also works. This is a great way to learn about the tuning of both the transmitting and the receiving transformers. Unfortunately this is where most people also stop-at least those who have reported their work on this list and elsewhere. Many are not interested in the easily performed, but less spectacular feat of detecting the transmitted signal at 100 times-plus the distance using a sensitive "radio-wave" receiver in conjunction with their receiving transformer, instead of a "diminutive lamp."

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
. . . Not too many people want to invest their life savings and decades of work . . .

The great thing is that meaningful results can be acheived without having to spend a fortune. . . .

. . . in a project that
1) Is theoretically unlikely to ever work.

But it does work. . . .

2) If successful, would destroy all global communications . . .

It will significantly improve global telecommunications. . . .

. . . and possibly all air traffic

Fully developed the World System will facilitate aviation by allowing the propulsive energy to be transmitted to aircraft, which will then not have to carry fuel.

3) Would have possibly terminally destructive environmental consequences.

It will allow us to control the environment rather than having the environment control us, as it does now. Also, pollution will be reduced. . . .

Matt D.

Gary Peterson