Re: DARNIT!!! not again

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: motosk8er2@xxxxxxx
Well i set up my new coil with a temporary primary just to test the secondary and it worked great, nice sized streamers. But then the rotary spark gap stopped arcing across and all i was left with was a rather loud buzzing noise. After a long inspection i found that where the screws for the capaciter terminal is the voltage jumped threw about 1/2 inch of wood and into my concrete basement floor making a neat squigle pattern burned onto the ground. I fixed that problem with some rubber feet to insulate the board from the ground, i then turned on the coil and worked fine for about 3 seconds then it died. When i turn it on it is just dead silent. Voltage is getting to the transformer but just not getting out. Would that be my transformer blown like i was thinking and if so does anyone know a good source for realy realy cheep nst's. im running a 15kv nst and im on a realy tight budget. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, andrew

In you description, as you don't describe the structure, I see just one fatal problem: WOOD. Wood is -not- an insulator at all for high voltages. If the NST terminals were in contact with wood, very probably there is a carbon track formed that is short-circuiting everything. The first thing to do is to see if your transformer produces some output with its terminals floating in the air.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz