RE: Re[2]: Capacitor Size

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Sebas:

There's no formula that can calculate the BPS of a static gap coil. The gap firing voltage and the NST charging current dynamics are far too chaotic.

The only measurements that I have recorded were for my mini coil, using a 4kV/20mA NST, with 120VAC/60Hz in. The mains-resonant cap value for this NST is calculated to be .013uF. This NST has had some of its shunts removed for a 38mA short-circuit current. Not sure if this affects the mains-resonant cap value.

Using a digital storage scope, I scoped the field coming off the secondary over a 400 msec interval with a scope probe hanging about 8 feet from the coil. I tried 3 different cap sizes:
Cap BPS
.012uF 297 BPS
.02uF 207 BPS
.025uF 157 BPS

I should also have pointed out that I could have achieved 120BPS with any of the cap values if I Variac'ed the NST voltage down, but no performance peak occurs at any reduced Variac setting - it's downhill all the way.

I've not tried it with my mini coil, but with my larger coil, I have found that at a low Variac setting, I have been able to achieve a 60BPS mode of operation that sounds distinctly different. It seems to be stable for a few seconds, but quickly reverts to chaotic mode. Must be those butterflies in Brazil.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA.