Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MIT has a couple of very cool antenna animations which demonstrate
part of the idea that short antennas aren't necessarily "short":

quarter-wave antenna animation, 2megs
http:/web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/802TEAL3D/visualizations/light/QuarterWaveAntenna/QuarterWaveAntenna.htm

short antenna animation, 2megs
http:/web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/802TEAL3D/visualizations/light/dipoleRadiationReversing/DipoleRadiationReversing.htm

The caption associated with the second animation doesn't say anything about the antenna being electrically short. It looks to me like the thing is just drawn to a smaller scale than previously. Also, these animations represent the operation of a dipole "antenna" (in the sense used above) in free space. This is an inaccurate representation of the launching structure of a Tesla-coil transmitter, which is grounded and by my definition is NOT an "antenna."

The pattern of a grounded antenna is just one half of the pattern of a dipole antenna, with some distortion due to the nonzero resistance of the ground. The high reactance of the short antenna can be recognized in the animations by the electric field lines that form loops that grow and then return to the antenna instead of detaching and forming electromagnetic waves. Note that a similar animation appears in Maxwell's book, so this is nothing new.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz