From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 October 2005 22:32
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: can this motor be made sync?

Original poster: "Dan" <DUllfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What makes an induction motor a-synchronous, is the fact that the
armature is not magnetized. Period. if the armature does not slip with
regards to the rotating magnetic field, there would be no induced
magnetic field in the armature. That is why induction motors run slower
than synchrony. It's not because it has no flats.
Manufacturers would have thought of that already, if it acutally worked.
No amount of flats is going to fix that. I don't know where that idea
came from, i've seen it before on some website. I just chuckled.

The only way would be to somehow magnetize the armature, but since it is
mostly aluminum, I don't see how you would do that.

Dan