Re: series or parallel???

Hi Malcolm,

I think that you are right that the transformer sees the same peak voltage in eigher case. The peak capacitor voltage during the bang can not get higher than the initial voltage it was charged to (rings down, back up, back down, and so on). Maybe the real difference is the frequency that is associated with the peak voltage. In the parallel capacitor case, the peak voltage the NST is subjected to is at the RF frequency of the tank. With the parallel spark gap, the peak voltage is during charging and is 60Hz stuff. The RF voltage during the bang is much lower cause the plasma resistance is in the order of a few ohms.

Then again, maybe we need to look at the problem from the NST secondary coil's perspective instead of the terminal's perspective for the parallel capacitance case. If the NST secondary is trying to output say +10000 Vpeak at the time of the bang and the Cp has just oscillated to -10000Vpeak, what does this do to the insulation??? and the current??? Got to think about this one.

Gerry R.

Original poster: m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29 Nov 2005, at 7:32, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Malcolm; At resonance and only at resonance Xl and Xc are the same and
> voltage of the coil or capacitor is Xl times I which may be well over v
> input The gap voltage is v input If the transformer is across the gap > the
> voltrage is V input. Across a reactive component like the capacitor the
> voltage can be anything based on Z of the combination and the current > not V
> input, but more than v input.
>     Robert   H

Draw out the circuit for both situations. You can treat the TC
primary as a piece of wire at mains frequency. You will see that
both situations are equivalent when considering gap settings.

Malcolm