RE: ...another newbie question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I can say with certainty that the 20A draw is real, if not understated.
It's not sufficient to just say one is using a 15/60.  The other crucial
factors are cap size and whether above-nominal mains voltage (i.e. 140V
from a Variac) was used, though I could not have predicted the current
draw in advance.  I recall that when I tried using a very large cap (.03
or .04uF, don't recall) with a static gap, I couldn't keep the 20A
breaker from tripping.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> Sounds like a good solution.  I'm curious about the 20A draw with a
> 15/60 coil.  I used 160uf PFC for that configuration and got about
> 8.7-9 amp draw at the wall plug (real power was about1040-1080 watts)
> using a SRSG.
>
> Gerry R.
>

> >Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
> >
> >I use a 120V/15A Variac that used to have breaker tripping problems
> >whenever I plugged it in, until I added an NTC thermistor.  I don't
know
> >what a CL-60 is, but mine looks like a large black disc capacitor,
> >Rcold=1.0, Rhot=.015 Ohm.  Works great!  And with my 15/60 with 240uF
of
> >PFC caps, I still pull in excess of 20A on the 140V side of the
Variac.