Re: FW: Warning on DRSSTC's

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> DRSSTC's are nasty machines

Mine isn't, as far as I can tell. Although it is
somewhat less powerful, about 700w-1kW and 30 to 40"
sparks. I've run it in the living room next to my
audio equipment and computer

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/experiment/laboratory.jpg

and also connected it to a bunch of different test
instruments. Probably the hairiest thing I did was
firing ground strikes at full energy while logging the
inverter voltage and current with a DSO, but the scope
survived fine.

I think there are more important factors than whether
the coil is a DRSSTC or not. High voltage RF is still
high voltage RF no matter if it came from a spark-gap
oscillator or a solid-state one. For indoor coiling,
making sure that any metal objects in the vicinity of
the coil are grounded is a good start. Unplugging
appliances may even do more harm than good, if they
become ungrounded and their cases pick up voltage and
arc to other nearby objects. I leave all my audio kit
plugged in but switched off.

Steve Conner