Re: capacitors for PFC?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 11/28/05 2:31:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Can somebody tell me what kinds of caps would work for PFC besides
>motor run caps because I can't seem to find any 120 volt motor run caps?

Caps out of HID lighting ballasts should be suitable. IIRC, the typical 400W Metal Halide (ANSI M-59) fixture has a 24uF 400+V cap in it. Keep in mind (if you're scrounging from junk fixtures) that the cap seems to be, in about a third of the cases, the item that "dies" to kill the fixture. Check that the cap measures its correct value before using. They are designed to fail "open", but in my experience that doesn't happen too often.

    Motor rewind/repair shops usually stock run caps as well.

-Phil LaBudde