Re: Official air breakdown voltage?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 11/27/05 12:17:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>exactly. a 12KV spark, at 30MA may only be 1/2 inch long. But, at
>thousands of amperes, it can stretched to over a foot

Almost everybody here has stretched a 12kV 30mA spark to about 3". Many have stretched a 12kV 500mA spark to well over a foot. So it doesn't take thousands of amps. FWIW, I notice the arcs from my "pole-mounted power distribution transformer" are the same size and length at 14.4kV as from the 7.2kV configuration, provided the power in the arc is the same.

-Phil LaBudde