Re: Tesla coil output voltage

Hi JT,

The top of a Tesla coil acts much like a large capacitor. If you short it to ground, the current is "very high" since the resistance is low compared to the voltage. The current would be:

I = V / R

Where:
I is the current
V is the voltage
R is the resistance in the current path.

If we have 250000 volts and 10 ohms, the current is 25000 amps! But usually the resistance for a very fast arc is sort of high. Wild guess would be in the thousand amp range for a short to ground.

There is a secondary current during the coil's operation. This current is not the same along the secondary due to capacitance of the secondary to ground. But if we don't look too close, that current is:

Is = Vs / (2 x pi x Fo x Ls)

Where:

Is is the peak secondary current
Vs is the top peak voltage
pi is 3.14159...  (3.00000... in Indiana :o)))))))
Fo is the coil's operating frequency
Ls is the secondary coils's inductance

An example would be:

Is = Vs / (2 x pi x Fo x Ls)

Is = 250000 / (2 x 3.14159 x 150000 x 0.050)  ===  5.3 amps

This current is usually somewhere in the 10 amp range +- on order of magnitude or two.

Cheers,

        Terry