From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Official air breakdown voltage?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:55:08 -0700

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
It is common sense that air pressure, humididty, current, and time of day all affect air breakdown voltage, but: IS there any official way to determine exactly what air breakdown voltage is? ( such as KV/distance ) " Use spheres as terminals at both ends of the spark and use tables of spark distance vs voltage as a function of the radii of the spheres.
These are usually for low frequencies or DC of course.

The 30 kV/cm figure for initial breakdown is valid for at least 300 MHz.
(At least, this is what my "Reference Data for Radio Engineers" says.)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz